Sunday 10 June 2007

Venice, City of a Thousand Bridges

Finally the Grand Art Tour began on the Wednesday 6th of June with my arrival Venice. For this trip I will be travelling with friend and colleague Dominique Fontaine based in Montreal, Canada. For the first 3 days we are joined by Emma Bedford, South African curator now director of Goodman Gallery Cape Town. I am going to try as much as possible to post snippets of the art tour mainly in pictures.

Venice is an amazing and beautiful city and the people are so so warm just like us Africans. On the boat ride from the airport the architecture is amazing and I am overwhelmed with intricate artisanary dating back over 500 years. My exciting is palpable.

But there is a lot of work for me over the forthcoming 2 weeks because as a selector for Artes Mundi I have to visit as many exhibitions as possible and interact with curators and artists. Also as a member of the jury for the selection of the first official pavillion in the 100 history of the Venice Biennale I am keen to actively participate and attend events around the African Pavillion. Also this is an important professional networking opportunity. So watch this space.

Dominique Fontaine

Emma Bedford and Bisi Silva at Campos Santa Margherita not far from the appartment we are all sharing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home